The Mosque of Rome (Italian: Moschea di Roma) is the largest mosque in Italy. It has an area of 30,000 m2 (320,000 sq ft) and can accommodate 12,000 people. The building is located in the Acqua Acetosa area, at the foot of the Monti Parioli, north of the city. As well as being the city’s mosque it is the seat of the Centro Culturale Islamico d’Italia (the Italian Islamic Cultural Centre).
Its planning took more than ten years: the Roman City Council donated the land in 1974, but the first stone was laid only in 1984 (1405 AH), in the presence of then President of the Italian Republic Sandro Pertini, with its inauguration on 21 June 1995.
The structure is intended to be integrated into the surrounding green area, with a mix of modern structural design and omnipresent curves. Its use of the light in order to create a meditative climate, and its choice of materials evoke traditional Roman colors, like travertino and cotto. Decorative, and discreet apparatus in the amplitude of the space that contains, is constituted from inveterate of light colors. The repeated Quranic topic is ”Allah Nur” (God is the Light).
In addition to being a meeting place for religious activities, it provides cultural and social services variously connecting Muslims together. It also holds wedding ceremonies, funeral services, exegesis, conventions, and other related events.