After marriage, husband disappeared for three years

Reference: Fataawa wa Mukhtaarah – Page 451

Question: If a man undertook a contract [of marriage] with a woman and then disappeared for three years, is it permissible for her to request a divorce [from him] via the judge? Provide us a legal ruling [and] may Allaah reward you with good.

Response: It is permissible for her to raise her matter with the judge, so he can impose upon him (the husband) to attend [the hearing], and if he refuses to attend, then she is permitted to request the judge to issue a divorce ruling for her.

And with Allaah lies all success.


Check Also

Maybe I am Going Wrong Somewhere

Follow Question: I have realised (while reading the Holy Qur’an again) that whoever is a true Muslim is protected by God. Also, a person (a Muslim) was talking to me, and he said that if I were a true Muslim, then these ...

Coping with Teasing

Follow Question: Some of the people in my hall go on screaming ‘Allah, Allah’ whenever they see me just for fun sake — nothing to offend me or my religion. What should I do about that? Answer: Rejoice in being persecuted for ...

Commanding the Good When I Don’t Do It?

Follow Question: The issue of enjoining the good and forbidding the evil. There are certain things I do which can be deemed as Islamic and other things which can be deemed as haraam. I am of the opinion therefore, that I can ...