1. When the hypocrites come to you (O Muhammad ), they say: “We bear witness that you are indeed the Messenger of Allah.” Allah knows that you are indeed His Messenger and Allah bears witness that the hypocrites are liars indeed.
2. They have made their oaths a screen (for their hypocrisy). Thus they hinder (men) from the Path of Allah. Verily, evil is what they used to do.
3. That is because they believed, then disbelieved, therefore their hearts are sealed, so they understand not.
4. And when you look at them, their bodies please you; and when they speak, you listen to their words. They are as blocks of wood propped up. They think that every cry is against them. They are the enemies, so beware of them. May Allah curse them! How are they denying (or deviating from) the Right Path.
7. They are the ones who say: “Spend not on those who are with Allah’s Messenger, until they desert him.” And to Allah belong the treasures of the heavens and the earth, but the hypocrites comprehend not.
8. They (hyprocrites) say: “If we return to Al-Madinah, indeed the more honourable (‘Abdullah bin Ubai bin Salul, the chief of hyprocrites at Al-Madinah) will expel therefrom the meaner (i.e. Allah’s Messenger ).” But honour, power and glory belong to Allah, His Messenger (Muhammad ), and to the believers, but the hypocrites know not.
10. And spend (in charity) of that with which We have provided you, before death comes to one of you and he says: “My Lord! If only You would give me respite for a little while (i.e. return to the worldly life), then I should give Sadaqah (i.e. Zakat) of my wealth , and be among the righteous [i.e. perform Hajj (pilgrimage to Makkah)].