1. By the night as it envelops;
2. And by the day as it appears in brightness;
4. Certainly, your efforts and deeds are diverse (different in aims and purposes);
5. As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah and fears Him,
6. And believes in Al-Husna.
7. We will make smooth for him the path of ease (goodness).
8. But he who is greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient.
9. And gives the lie to Al-Husna (see Verse No: 6 footnote);
10. We will make smooth for him the path for evil;
11. And what will his wealth benefit him when he goes down (in destruction).
12. Truly! Ours it is (to give) guidance,
13. And truly, unto Us (belong) the last (Hereafter) and the first (this world).
14. Therefore I have warned you of a Fire blazing fiercely (Hell);
15. None shall enter it save the most wretched,
16. Who denies and turns away.
17. And Al-Muttaqun (the pious and righteous – see V.2:2) will be far removed from it (Hell).
18. He who spends his wealth for increase in self-purification,
19. And have in his mind no favour from anyone for which a reward is expected in return,
20. Except only the desire to seek the Countenance of his Lord, the Most High;
21. He surely will be pleased (when he will enter Paradise).